The two most important hair care products in every woman’s hair care regime are shampoos and conditioners. While many girls are well aware of all the different brands of hair products available in the market, they do not know that most of these products contain sulfates.
Now the question arises – what are sulfates and how do they damage hair?
Sulfates are chemicals that help shampoos form a bubbly lather so that they can remove oils and dirt from hair. Such chemicals are shown up in the ingredients list with the names such as sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) and sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). Studies have shown that these sulfates play a major role in weakening the hair follicles thus, damaging the natural curls.
Apart from this, there are several others problems caused by these chemicals. Some of them are:
- Skin as well as eye irritations
- Cataracts in adults
- Liver, brain and heart problems
- Roughness of skin
- Weak hair and hair loss
Note: Several studies have also proved that sulfates are easily absorbed by the skin. These chemicals mimic estrogen behavior in the body, resulting in hormonal imbalance in females.
So, to avoid all these problems and to sustain your natural hairs, it is recommended to go for sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners.
Why use sulfate-free Hair-care products?
- To retain Moisture: You need to keep your curls well moisturized so as to make them look healthy and lustrous. Sulfate-free hair products gently wash your locks and ensure that they don’t get ‘too’ dry. These products also hold moisture in your hair thus, making them look perfect.
- To reduce Irritation: Many people experience irritation with sulfate-containing shampoos. This irritation makes their scalp sore, itchy and difficult to manage. Not just this! In some cases, these sulfates result in spots on the scalp. If you are undergoing through any sort of irritation, it’s time to ditch your hair care products and switch to sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners.
- To retain natural oils: Sulfate-free shampoos as well as conditioners gently clean hair, without stripping out the natural oils from them. In other words, a gentle sulfate free shampoo will leave your curls soft, smooth and easy to detangle. On the other hand, sulfates-containing shampoos remove all the natural oils from hairs. This causes the latter to become dry and unmanageable. Hair that’s devoid of natural oils may curve away from other hair strands. This in turn can disturb ones natural curls.
- To retain hair color: Sulfate-free shampoos help in maintaining the natural color of your hair. Such shampoos mildly cleanse the hair while sustaining the natural hair textures.
Moreover, coloring hairs is a routinely habit of most of the girls. It should be noted that regular shampoos hold the ability of stripping out the color and this problem aggravates with constant usage. So, to avoid fading of your hair color, it is advisable to use sulfate-free shampoos. Such shampoos are gentle and they won’t remove your hair color.