With all the damage we impose to our hair by exposing it to the sun, coloring it and blow drying it, one of the most efficient ways of taking care of it is by using sulfate-free shampoos. Now you might be thinking what sulfates are and why to use shampoos that are devoid of them?
Well, sulfate or SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) is an anionic detergent that is used in the manufacturing of large number of personal and hair care products such as soaps, toothpastes, shampoos etc. The reasons why companies use sulfates in their products are: Firstly, they are in-expensive. Secondly they act as effective cleansing agents and produce suds. Many people believe that their foaming effect is making them do the right job. But the reality is other way round! Although SLS products work nicely, they pose several problems to skin and gums. And when it comes to hair, SLS containing shampoos irritate the scalp and strip away essential oils and moisture from hair. Such shampoos even strip away pigmentation from color-treated hair.
So, ditch your shampoos today and opt for a hair cleanser free from sulfates. To know how to care for your locks with Sulfate Free Shampoos, keep reading!
What is Sulfate-free Shampoo?
It might be clear to you that sulfate-free shampoo doesn’t contain sulfates or SLS. Unlike SLS shampoos, this hair cleanser does not cause any kind of scalp or hair problem. Moreover, sulfate-free shampoo is safe to use on all types of hair (even color-treated)!
However, washing hair with Sulfate-free shampoos may need some adjustments. Reason – these shampoos form less lather and foam as compared to traditional shampoos. You should be aware of the fact that although these hair cleansers won’t produce foam well, that doesn’t mean they are not working.
How to use SLS-free Shampoo?
To use SLS-free shampoos, wet your locks well and apply the cleanser. Apply water as you spread the shampoo on your hair. Here, it should be noted that more water has to be applied instead of more shampoo. This is because water will activate SLS-free Shampoo and in turn your shampoo will spread easily. Next, rinse hair well with water. You can even shampoo twice if you think your hair needs one more wash.
Advantages of using SLS-free shampoo:
Some of the benefits that you can reap from SLS-free shampoos are:
- Sulfate-free shampoos are 100% natural and safe.
- These shampoos eliminate irritation and inflammation.
- End result of using Sulfate-free shampoos is clean, soft and shiny hair.
- These shampoos retain natural oil and moisture in the locks.
- SLS-free shampoos extend the life of pigmentation in dyed hair.
Top SLS-free shampoo available:
- Khadi Natural Woody Sandal & Honey Herbal Shampoo: Especially made for dry and frizzy hair, this shampoo makes locks smooth and shiny. It also treats dandruff and scalp problems.
- Khadi Neem and Aloe Vera Shampoo: Made from Neem and Aloe Vera, Khadi Neem and Aloe Vera Shampoo cleanses the hair gently, repairs damaged hair fibers and fights against scalp and dandruff problems.
- Khadi Natural Herbal Henna Tulsi Extra Conditioning Shampoo: Consisting of Henna and Tulsi, this SLS-free shampoo is good for dry and thin locks. This hair cleanser also prevents dryness, hair fall and graying of hair.