People who glide out of the pools with beautiful, lustrous locks streaming behind them make everything about fun, summertime hair look effortless. But the reality is other way round! Keeping hair healthy and smooth in summers can be a major challenge for most people, especially girls. Summer hair care involves sprays and spritzers and several deep conditioning treatments to keep locks in line. However, many of these ways make use of harsh chemicals which can damage your hair in the long run. Now you might be thinking – what to do so as to keep summer hair shiny and beautiful?
Well, the answer is quite simple – by employing sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners!
Before coming to such shampoos and conditions, first let’s learn about sulfates?
Sulfates are inexpensive chemicals used in shampoos (and some conditioners) to help hair product form a bubbly lather and provide grease-cutting cleaning power. These chemicals are highlighted as SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) and SLES (sodium laureth sulfate) in the ingredients list. Now, the trouble is that these chemicals cause skin irritation, worsen skin problems and can also result in hair loss.
So, it is advisable to ditch these chemical- containing hair products and switch to sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners.
Well, there are tons of hair products in the market that are sulfate-free. It can be a bit tricky to wash your hair with such products as they are not same as your regular shampoos and conditioners. Moreover, one won’t get a ‘squeaky clean’ feeling with these products. However, if used properly, sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners can result in clean and beautiful locks.
Steps to use Sulfate-free Shampoo & Conditioner
- Wet hair thoroughly and then, apply sulfate-free hair shampoo. If your locks aren’t completely soaked, it will be difficult to apply and distribute the shampoo throughout the hair.
- Try to use less shampoo. Many people expect their shampoos to lather well and when sulfate-free shampoos don’t, they tend to apply more of them. Here, it should be noted that, although these shampoo won’t foam up, they still work to clean the hair.
- If you are struggling to wash your hair with the shampoo, use more water instead of the product. This will activate your shampoo, which will in turn allow it to spread through the hair.
- Shampoo your hair twice. There is no doubt that without the foaming action, it is tricky to remove all the dirt and oil from hair. So, it is recommended to wash your hair twice with a sulfate-free shampoo.
- Rinse hair thoroughly. This is because any residue left on your hair will make your locks feel heavy.
- Apply conditioner. After rinsing your hair with water, take sulfate-free conditioner and apply it on your hair. It’s better to comb the conditioner, starting from the midlength to the end. Rinse well afterwards.
Benefits of Sulfate-free Shampoo & Conditioner
Following are some of the benefits you will get from a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner:
- More Shine
- Long-lasting color
- Less hair loss
- Stronger hair
- All natural –no harsh chemicals are involved in sulfate-free hair products
- No skin or scalp irritation
- Natural oils will be sustained in your hair
- Drastically less frizz