What is SLS?
Shampoo without SLS is an inexpensive chemical widely used in the manufacturing of several personal hygiene products like shampoos, mouthwashes, toothpastes, soaps and detergents, to name a few. This chemical basically acts as a surfactant that breaks the surface tension between the molecules and separates them so as to allow interaction between the product and the substance for which the former is made. This in turn produces lather/foam thus, making the products more effective cleaners.
- It is a skin irritant: SLS is used as a skin irritant while testing several cosmetics in the laboratory.
- It is basically a pesticide/ herbicide: SLS is generally used to kill insects and weeds. Research has shown that the chemical is an approved pesticide used in organic farming.
- It is an eye irritant: Research has also shown that the chemical tends to cause cataracts in adults. It also inhibits development of eyes in young children.
- It emits toxic fumes on heating: SLS releases toxic fumes of sulfur oxide and sodium oxide when heated.
- It affects body’s tissues: University of Georgia Medicine has proven that chemical free shampoo has the ability to permeate eyes , heart, brain and lever.
- It pollutes the environment: Manufacturing of SLS is not environment friendly. Emission of cancer causing substances and air particulates takes place during the process.
- It pollutes groundwater: shampoo without sulfate is toxic to aquatic animals and it also results in bioaccumulation (that means it accumulates in the bodies of aquatic animals.) The chemical is also found in several municipal water filters from where it gets in the house taps.
Due to these reasons, people are switching to SLS free products. When it comes to hair products, shampoo without sls and paraben are gaining popularity. To know the benefits of these shampoos, read further.
Benefits of shampoo without sodium lauryl sulfate.
- 100% natural and safe: This are 100% organic products. This means that their manufacturing process and ingredient list is natural and safe.
- Eliminates scalp Irritation/inflammation: People who suffer from scalp irritation or inflammation can use SLS free hair cleansers. In other words, these cleansers are a fantastic alternative for those who have scalp problems or sensitive skin.
- No eye irritation: These shampoos do not cause any kind of eye irritation or problem if they accidently fall in the eyes.
- 100% environment friendly: These hair cleansers are absolutely environment friendly as they are manufactured using renewable sources.
- Soft and shiny hair: By using shampoos that don’t have sodium laureth sulfate, you will get more soft and lustrous hair as compared to those normal shampoos.
- Oil and moisture retention: SLS free hair cleansers have the power to retain natural oil and moisture in the hair strands. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about dry hair problems
- Hair Color Retention: Sulfate free shampoo don’t strip away the pigmentation if the hair is treated with a dye. In other words, you can enjoy colored hair for a longer period of time.
- Meant for all: SLS free hair cleansers are meant for all types of hair including straight hair, dyed hair, curly hair etc.